• Question: Why is mercury so poisoneous?

    Asked by keigm001 to Darren on 21 Mar 2012.
    • Photo: Darren Logan

      Darren Logan answered on 21 Mar 2012:

      Mercury is highly reactive, which means it can cause lots of chemical reactions to occur in your body. For this reason it is difficult to identify any one specific way it affects us it basically causes lots of problems.

      The organs it seems to damage the most is the central nervous system, endocrine (hormone) system and kidneys. Exposure over a long time will result in brain damage and eventually death.